Thursday, May 6, 2010

User Choice (Thing 22)

At least most of the resources look familiar but I have a long way to go.
I chose as my social tool I chose Upcoming Events and Things to Do.
Who: Upcoming Events and Things to Do
What: A way to keep track of events you want to go to in your area or anywhere in the country. You can also join a group and share and find out what other events people want to go to that have your common interests. Must have a Yahoo account.
How: You can search for events by category or you can key in search terms and place. Your search can be one date, next 30 days, or even in the future.
When: Once you have your list of events, you can click on I'm interested or I'm going.
Where: Once you click on either I'm interested or I'm going you can quickly join Upcoming. You can put events you are interested in or that you are definitely going to on your an (Outlook, Google, Yahoo) calendar. You can also set up reminders, invite guests. Next the event, is a button to click on for a map.


As far as how this relates to librarianship, say you are working the desk and after storytime a family is looking for more things to do in Frisco or in nearby communities. You could then search Upcoming for that date and for family events, voila! Or if someone is going on a trip to Boston in say 30 days you could look up what is happening while they are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment