Monday, May 10, 2010

Reflection (Thing 23)

Survey:

What do you think about social media in libraries? I think if this is how people want to communicate and this is how they receive information, libraries should embrace them.
What do you wish FPL was or was not doing? I think what we are doing is a good start. I think the possibilities are endless with how we can reach people and draw them in as participants in the technology and their library. To remain on our patrons' radar we must reach them in ways that makes them feel that library and librarians are not only necessary in their lives but a happening place! We must keep them involved in what is going on inside the walls of the library but also offer ways they can learn and seek information that all remains tied to the library.
How you learned anything from this program? WOW! Where do I begin? I am already using some of the tools such as tiny url, getting back to blogging about books, using Upcoming events, wanting to tweet (still need to work on that one), hulu (told my teenage daughter about this one and she was actually impressed!), using wikis more, podcasting and this list of what I can now do with a little more confidence is massive.
As an older librarian I do feel behind with the now technology but I feel a tad better now thanks to this exercise. I just need to keep using it, keep learning it and be happy with the progress I make each day.
Thanks to all for putting this together!

No comments:

Post a Comment